Tuesday, December 21, 2010

a difficult day.

I know I'm trying to work on my complaining. I'll try not to make this post so much about complaining... Then again, that might be impossible considering the subject matter...

When I was being interviewed for this job, they asked me a difficult question. "How do you feel about telling a customer 'no'?" Well, I thought about it, and I gave a pretty good answer (or so I thought). Look for solutions, don't just stop whenever you hit an obstacle. I thought to myself -- out of ignorance, of course -- that most problems customers will bring up to me will be something that we can work out together and find an alternate solution for. As I work here more and more, I find this is simply not the case.

No, there really isn't any other way to get around you trying to deposit a check which doesn't have a name on it that matches any names of the accounts. No, I can't cash your check when your account's in the red. No, we don't have Susan B. Anthony's, and I don't think anyone else does, either.

The more I work here, the more I realize how much of a minority I am in every day society. It's rare that things really bother me. I mean sure, there is Harry Potter, and Twilight, and the Disney Channel, but other than that, if things don't go my way chances are I wasn't really expecting they would. 9 times out of 10, whatever it is that I'm doing I don't actually expect for it to work out the way I planned.

In this moment of reflection, I wonder: is it that things have been going wrong in my life all the time? That, in fact, 9 times out of 10 things did go wrong? No. Actually, what I can really honestly say to myself is, the reason I'm -- Cautious? Have low expectations? I call it realistic -- is that the times in my life when things have gone wrong, they've gone almost cataclysmically wrong. Yeah, sure, there are the regular hiccups now and again, who doesn't have those, but I swear, those few times early on when I got burned, bad, have taught me to never expect life to go the way I want it to.

Anyway, where I was getting with this whole "minority" thing is that it simply doesn't seem to be the case with 7 out of 10 customers who come in here tyring to do something that just won't fly. "Sorry, sir, this check is made out to your business so I can't deposit it into your personal account." "WHY NOT?!" Whoa, there! You must've known that the name on the account and the name on this check do not match. You know this, because you know the name on your account, and you can see the name on this check does not match that name! You must've known you'd at least be taking a chance, hoping I wouldn't catch it or hoping I would make an exception. But those things haven't happened today, so please let me do my job and except it.

Whew. Well. That's really about it. Lighten up, everybody. Life is awesome, and it's great to be alive, and you should always thank God that you're here because this is the raddest time to ever be alive, but it doesn't always go smoothly. Don't need to be a Debbie Downer, don't need to be a pessimist, but just be cool whenever things go wrong, because just about every time things do go wrong, it's for a damn good reason that you probably don't understand and will most likely never understand.

Cool. Keep rockin'.

Corbin

1 comment:

  1. I remember, when I worked at Little Caesars, trying to get people to show me their IDs when they wanted to pay with a card. I don't miss those days.

    ReplyDelete